A character is a player-controlled persona in Path of Exile with a unique name in the game world.
- After logging into Path of Exile a character can be created though the character creation screen.A character can be created in different leagues. The game recommends to start in the current standard challenge league.
- Once the league has been choose, a character class can be selected. The classes differ by starting location on the passive skill tree, the quest rewards they’re given, by their base attributes and their general appearance and voice. They also each have different possible Ascendancy classes.
- Players can freely choose the name of their character, however it has to be unique on the realm and it is not possible to use non-ascii letters or numbers in the name. The only special character allowed is the underscore. If a character has remained inactive for over a year their name will become available for other players to use when creating a new character.
- There is also the option to create a PvP–only character.
- By default only 24 characters can be created. After that existing characters have to be deleted in order to create new a one; however this limit can be extended by purchasing additional character slots from the Path of Exile Shop.
There are three “pure” characters, classes that are aligned with one of the three core attributes.
Strength confers raw brute power, and its character class is the Marauder. He wields maces to deal high physical damage, and Strength armour pieces grant him physical damage reduction. Monsters aligned with Strength generally hit hard and take many blows to defeat. The element aligned with Strength is fire.
Dexterity confers agility in combat, and its character class is the Ranger. She uses bows and rapiers to attack quickly and accurately, and Dexterity armour pieces grant her the ability to evade enemy blows more often. Monsters aligned with Dexterity are nimble and difficult to hit, often attacking from a distance or with multiple weapons. The element aligned with Dexterity is cold.
Intelligence confers knowledge – of both arcane magic and deadly combat techniques – and its character class is the Witch. She wields weapons like the wand and sceptre with improved critical strikes, and her Intelligence armour pieces grant the wearer a mystical energy shield which protects them from damage and can recharge when they are out of combat. Monsters aligned with intelligence are often spell-casters who can be dangerous if not immediately dealt with. The element aligned with Intelligence is lightning.
There are four “hybrid” character classes in Path of Exile that use a combination of attributes.
The Duelist excels at both Strength and Dexterity skills, and fights with swords and axes. He utilizes both the attack speed and evasion from Dexterity and the damage and armour of Strength to quickly deal large amounts of damage while staying safe from physical attacks.
The Templar represents Strength and Intelligence, and fights with staves and sceptres. He can become a powerful spellcaster or use his elemental damage to perform strong melee attacks.
The Shadow is proficient with Dexterity and Intelligence skills, and fights with daggers and claws. He can deal strong critical strikes with weapons or spells, and his traps and mines can disable enemies or deal high damage.
The Scion is aligned with all three attributes, and is therefore the most flexible class in terms of character design and skill use. She starts at the center of the passive skill tree.
The above is an explanation about character in Path of Exile. GM2V will continue to bring some guides for beginners.