The Templar is Path of Exile’s strength/intelligence hybrid class, a perfect balance of brawn and wits. The armors associated with the Templar’s strength and intelligence are Chainmail Coifs/Helmets, Chainmail/Ringmail, Mesh/Chain Gloves, Mesh/Chain Boots, and Kite Shields. How can you level Templar?
1. Skill Choice: lvl 1-28 Molten strike with ancestral call; lvl 28+ Ancestral warchief taking ancestral bond in the tree for +1 totem; If you prefer a more cookie cutter approach its not hard to get to lvl 70 with flameblast totems. All the early nodes of this build apply to either totem so whichever your preference.
2. Leveling Gear: Leveling gear while you save up for the endgame stuff. The highlighted items cost 1c or less. You should be able to start mapping wearing just these highlighted(cheap) items. For a smoother experience keep an eye on level requirements and upgrade right when you hit them.
- Chest – Zahndethus Cassock Lvl 37 – Geofri’s Sanctuary lvl 64 – Atziri’s Splendour lvl 75.
- Weapon – Hand of Thought and Motion lvl 22 – Hand of Wisdom and Action lvl 68.
- Helm – Doedre’s Scorn lvl 39 – Vertex lvl 62.
- Gloves – Lochtonial Caress lvl 1 – Asenath’s Gentle Touch lvl 25 – Shaper’s Touch lvl 66.
- Boots – Shavronne’s Pace lvl 32 – Sin Trek lvl 62.
- Belt – Bated Breath lvl 22 – Cyclopean Coil lvl 68.
- Shield – Crest of Perandus lvl 8 – Atziri’s Mirror lvl 54.
- Ring – Timeclasp lvl 22 – Perandus Signet lvl 1.
- Amulet – Astramentis lvl 20.
My general priority to upgrade non highlighted gear is Shaper’s Touch > Astramentis > Vertex > Cyclopean Coil > Perandus Signets > Hand of Wisdom and Action > Atziri’s Splendour. But it depends if you find a good roll on something for cheap.
3. Defense: The build paths near plenty of life nodes and its recommended that you pick up several of these while leveling then unspec out of them later when you swap into pure ES. How many you get will depend on how squishy you are comfortable being. I recommend picking up mind over matter while leveling especially if you are already using the Perandus rings. While using mind over matter the only auras you would be using are clarity and discipline so it can absorb more damage.
4. CI: When your Es is large enough that things are not hitting through it and making you rely on life as a backup swap mind over matter into CI. I generally swap sometime after level 60 when I have enough gear to reach about 5k ES. Just keep a life flask on you and watch for chaos damage.
5. Jewels: If you don’t have good jewels while leveling then don’t take the jewel sockets yet. While leveling defense is more of a concern so life and resistance will be more appealing.
Hopefully the above guide will be helpful to you.